Business licenses are required for all businesses within the City of Rogers. In order to obtain a business license, a Business License Application (PDF) must be completed and the following may be required:
- Certificate of Occupancy (CO) Inspection for the area occupied by the business. Inspection times may be set by the Risk Reduction Division located at across the street from City Hall in the small tan brick building at 113 N 4th St (corner of Chestnut & 4th), or by calling 479-621-1100.
- A sign permit is required and issued by the Planning and Transportation Department located on the second floor at 301 West Chestnut Street. For more information, please call the Planning and Transportation Department at 479-621-1186.
- If food service is a part of the business, an inspection by the Arkansas Board of Health is required. Contact the Benton County Health Department at 479-986-1300 for more information. The Food Establishment Assessment Report should also be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office before a business license will be issued.
- Provide information showing the current zoning for the business location, which may be obtained from the Planning and Transportation Department located on the second floor at 301 West Chestnut Street, or by calling 479-621-1186.
Business License Fee
The fee for a business license is based on the type of business and number of full-time employees as listed below.
Manufacturing (rendering raw or semifinished materials into finished products for sale) fee: $50 plus $3 for each employee or owner working 25 hours or more per week.
Sales fee (including retail establishments not specified elsewhere in this article): $50 plus $3 for each employee or owner working 25 hours or more per week.
Services fee (unless subject to a higher tax in another category): $75 plus $10 for each employee working a minimum of 25 hours per week, plus $20 per owner or part-owner who holds an individual state license to perform the service.
Such services include the following:
- Advertising agencies
- Bail bonding firms
- Funeral directors or undertakers
- Medical profession (all members)
- Insurance agents / brokers
- Real estate brokers and agencies
- Savings and loan associations
- Stock and/or investment brokers
If an agency or broker allows salespersons selling realty under the agency's auspices with office space but does not consider them to be employees, the agency shall collect from the salespersons the appropriate tax and remit it at the same time they remit the tax due from the agency.
Services (other than professional) fees are $40 plus $10 per working owner and employee working a minimum of 25 hours per week
Food (restaurants, cafes, diners, cafeterias, or any place where food is prepared and served to the public) fees:
- Minimum seats (1 to 9): $50
- 10 to 25 seats: $75
- 26 to 75 seats: $100
- Over 75 seats: $150
Motels, Hotels, Boardinghouses, Rooming Houses, and Apartments
Fees are as follows:
- 1 to 6 units: $ 50
- Each additional unit thereafter: $3
- Catalogue houses whose principal sales are by fulfillment of orders from out-of-town warehouses: $300
Self-Service Storage Units
Fees are as follow:
- 1 to 6units: $50
- Each additional unit thereafter: $0.50
Home-Based Businesses are allowed if one room of the home is used for the business (service-type businesses) and has no display of goods. Please contact the Risk Reduction Division at 479-621-1100 for details and specific information.
Moving a Business
If moving a business from one location to another, please check with the Risk Reduction Division by calling 479-621-1100 for a new certificate of occupancy (CO) inspection.
Tax ID Application
Applications for the tax ID are available at the Office of Field Audit, a division of the Department of Finance and Administration, located at 1501 Southeast Walton Boulevard, Suite 213, in Bentonville. For more information, call 479-271-8108 or visit the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration website.
Download the Business License Application (PDF). Additional items that are required, although not a part of the City of Rogers’ business licensing process, include a State Tax Identification Number or Retail Permit issued through the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration in Little Rock.
Payments are accepted in person with cash, check, credit / debit cards, and by mail with a check. Business licenses are renewed annually and are not transferable. For questions regarding starting a new business in Rogers, please contact the Risk Reduction Division at 479-621-1100.
For more information about starting a business check out Dream It Do It Arkansas.